[SLUG] Asus eee pc -alternative OS

DAVID KNIGHT davidknight24 at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 2 12:34:37 GMT 2008

Sorry, just getting around to reading the previous weeks e-mails!

It seems the Eee is becoming ubiquitous amongst linux users.

Perhaps the slogan should be...

Extremely cheap
Easy to wipe existing OS and replace with your distro of choice
Exponentially growing in number

and don't forget the best ever strapline, 'Rock solid, Heart touching'

Everyone who sees me typing minutes on the EEE in meetings wants one, a
few reps I've seen carry one about with all their powerpoint
presentations on. It seems to be making remarkable inroads with only
word of mouth advertising. Remarkable!

Out of interest, what are the opinions on non linux users of the EEE. My three children and wife all use linux daily at home. My 7yr old knows more about Ubuntu that he knows about XP. Although I have an emergency Windows partition I find Wine is getting more and more compatible with Windows apps and I'm toying with the idea of deleting the Windows partition and installing Windows on a virtual machine if I ever find myself wanting to use it. Btw the EEE is actually my sons, but I borrow it occasionally! I think I'll get the 8/9" model when it comes out this year.