[SLUG] Back to 26 October 2006 (I need help)

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Tue Feb 5 12:50:46 GMT 2008

Hi

OK, so now I really do need some help.

My computer thinks it's 26th October 2006.

I was working fine, opened a new Open Office spreadsheet and chose
'file', everything slowed, but I could still move the mouse.
Otherwise, I couldn't do anything. No soft reboot, no clicks, no
keyboard stuff. So I rebooted at the machine.

Now, it's booted up (did a disc check, and took ages over the bootup)
and it's taken me back to where I was 26 October 2006. No data since
then.

What I think's happening is it's looking at an old disc and hasn't
recognised the more recent one, so I'm going to take a break and come
back to it.

Problem is, I don't really understand the whole virtual storage thing,
LPI doesn't seem to cover that very well.

I plan to see what other discs there are, try to mount them, and see
what's around to map things out.

I have notes on, is it fstab, adding a disc to that, but I kinda think
the virtual thing supercedes that.

Or has my drive just died?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated about the things I should be
considering.

See you after lunch.

Cheers