[SLUG] Audacity

Stephen O'Neill squid at thefloatingfrog.co.uk
Mon May 5 21:28:40 BST 2008

Pete Redwood wrote:
> Is anybody on this list using Ubuntu and if so have they updated to
> 8.04?

Yup - I do... had a couple of issues but ironed them all out and I am
now happy customer.

> I have been using Audacity for sound recording since way back when, but
> with the new update it refuses to work. It comes back with the message
> 'Error opening sound source'. Using the terminal to start it shows that
> it is trying to connect to Alsa via the src/hostapi folder, which does
> not exist on my computer and as far as I can tel is only valid if you
> compile from source. The version now in use, 1.3.4, is the only one that
> will run because all the dependencies have changed. I don't really want
> play about compiling a version myself. Any suggestions.

Doesn't 8.04 use pulseaudio rather than Alsa? It is a bit of a shame
that 1.3.4 shows as a beta on the audacity site, not good news.

Does sound output work ok?

--
Stephen O'Neill
w: http://www.thefloatingfrog.co.uk/