[SLUG] Audacity

Pete Redwood predwood at phonecoop.coop
Mon May 5 22:05:17 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 21:28 +0100, Stephen O'Neill wrote:
> Pete Redwood wrote:
> > Is anybody on this list using Ubuntu and if so have they updated to
> > 8.04?

> Yup - I do... had a couple of issues but ironed them all out and I am
> now happy customer.

Overall, so am I happy. No other problems at all.

> > I have been using Audacity for sound recording since way back when, but
> > with the new update it refuses to work. It comes back with the message
> > 'Error opening sound source'. Using the terminal to start it shows that
> > it is trying to connect to Alsa via the src/hostapi folder, which does
> > not exist on my computer and as far as I can tel is only valid if you
> > compile from source. The version now in use, 1.3.4, is the only one that
> > will run because all the dependencies have changed. I don't really want
> > play about compiling a version myself. Any suggestions.

> Doesn't 8.04 use pulseaudio rather than Alsa?
If it does there are no options on Preferences - just OSS, ALSA and
JACK. Have tried all three combinations but still get the same message.

> It is a bit of a shame that 1.3.4 shows as a beta on the audacity site, not good news.
Developers admit that it is still very buggy.

> Does sound output work ok?
No. Same message 'Error opening sound device.'

--
Pete Redwood <predwood at phonecoop.coop>