[sclug] Distributed computing

Tony Sumner whittycat at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:32 UTC 2003

I am trying to sign up to a worthy distributed computing group that
is working on how to fold proteins. Everyone else has got the program
running except me. The whole story is a bit involved but I'd like to
start by asking a narrow specific question. What happens is that I
can send stuff to their server but I can't get anything back. Some
packets arrive back but they seem to vanish. The log says that the
source port is 80 and the destination port is 1026. My question is:
should I have an entry in /etc/services referring to port 1026?

[Yes I am running iptables but typing 'service iptables stop' doesn't
change anything so I think (?) iptables is not the cause]

Tony Sumner