[sclug] ADSL router

Pieter Claassen pieter at openauth.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:34 UTC 2003

Hi Chris,

So far I think we are on the same page. The main thing is that you have
to decide if you want a functional tool (little pain) just to get your
machines on the internet or if you relly want to set up a linux box as a
gateway (ADSL to ethernet) and have the experience of doing it all
yourself (the tradeoff is about ?80 for a gateway vs. 2 days
configuration pain or less if you know what you are doing). If you are
after the second, then you have to get an ADSL PCI or USB modem and set
the firewall, nat, dhcp, snort(?) etc. up to get things going. If
however you are only interested in getting your 4 internal machines on
the network, then you have one of two easy options:
1. If you have a windows machine currently connecting to the network
with a green mantra ADSL Modem (BT Alcatel speedtouch standard issue),
then enable connection sharing (need XP for that) or you can download a
gateway programm such as wingate (that was  few years ago!) and it will
run fine (this will go on 98)
2. You can buy a seperate ADSL router and just plug that into your phone
line. BT will still think it is only one machine connecting but it will
NAT for your internal environment. This is a low pain option.
3. Just get your ADSL modem up and running on your linux box (need some
kernel config which might be included in the latest 2.4.20 kernel
binary) and then see if you can configure masquerading which should not
be too hard. You will also need the other stuff such as firewall config
(you need to do that anyhow since masq is part of Iptables now) and a
dhcp server. However, keep in mind that this box needs to be hardened
because it is naked on the internet.

Cheers,
Pieter