[sclug] Folder Security

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:35 UTC 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Scott Rixon wrote:

> Quick question. I have a Linux server that has a data share for Linux
> and windows (Via Samba). I always have problems with the permissions on
> files and directories created in this share. I believe it to be because
> the creator gets Owner rights and know one else gets any rights. I
> doesn't matter if it was created in Linux or Windows.
>
> Is there a way of changing the default permissions from a top level so
> that all files created have 'relaxed' permissions?

The two options you want are 'create mode' and 'directory mode'; they
operate much like the UNIX 'umask' command but with the inverse value.

The default is actually to allow public/group read and only owner
read/write, but I guess your distribution has overridden that (a sensible
choice - especially for home directories).

In your smb.conf file (location depends on your installation, but try
/etc, /etc/samba, /etc/smb, /usr/local/samba/lib) you'll find a line
overriding the default to something like '0700' - change that to '0755'
for public read access.  You'll need to disconnect/reconnect the share
(restarting Samba does this and doesn't upset the Windows clients as long
as they're not doing anything hefty with the share at the time) to pick
up the change.

Note that it can be set globally or on a per-share basis (you may want
locked down permissions on your home directories but more open permissions
on a 'scratch' area).

Also note that in NT4/2000/XP clients (and 98 with the NT4 client tools
installed) you can edit the permissions using the 'right click ->
Properties... -> Security -> Permissions' method from the Windows client,
on each object individually).

  - Bob

--
 Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 6630
 Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK