[sclug] debian/samba+PAM

Leon Ward leon.ward at added-dimension.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:35 UTC 2003

	> Morning All,
And what a wonderful one it is!

	> I have now set up my dev box to run Debian (currently a mix of
testing/unstable).
	> I have tried to set up samba, and would like to use PAM & winbind
to allow users to change their NT passwords & samba/unix passwords in one
go.
	> I did the whole apt-get install of samba, libpam-samba and
winbind, and have samba up and running - but no password sync.

I don't know Debian that well, so I wont touch on the Debian side of life.

"Password Syncing" has been the reason I have turned to winbindd, as it is
_not_ required.
Forgive me if I an wrong here (it is quite likely so I am sure that someone
will be pleased to correct)....

winbindd doesn't sync with your NT domain controller but actually queries it
for user / group information as required.
Therefore, depending on your set-up, accounts that are valid in your domain
can me made valid for *nix login (depending on correct pam config)

Quick Example of talking to DC's

[root at leo bin]# ./wbinfo -u
DOMAIN+bob
DOMAIN+barry
DOMAIN+steve
DOMAIN+peter      (edited ;op)
DOMAIN+paul
DOMAIN+Administrator
DOMAIN+betty
DOMAIN+nard
DOMAIN+Zippy
--snip--

[root at leo bin]# getent passwd
--snip--
DOMAIN+nard:x:10001:10001:Leon Ward:/home/DOMAIN/nard:/bin/false
--snip--

hope this helps????

nard

> My smb.conf file seems to be ok.
>
> Is there a certain order that I should follow when apt-getting the modules
for samba (to operate in this manner)?

> If anyone else has had experience here it would be good to hear your
problem solving!! (I was previously using SME server - and want to do it al
myself!!)

> Cheers
>
> Chris
>

> This E-mail and its attachments have been scanned for viruses before
delivery.
> For more information contact postmaster at added-dimension.co.uk.

This E-mail and its attachments have been scanned for viruses before delivery.
We recommend that all attachments are also checked by recipients before being viewed.
For more information contact postmaster at added-dimension.co.uk.