[sclug] Email forwarding

H/J Wyper wypers at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:36 UTC 2003

Hello there everyone.

I have three computers at home:  GARAGE is running linux, always on, and
connected to the internet via NTL broadband.  The other two machines,
DESKTOP and LAPTOP are networked to it - DESKTOP via a crossover cable on
network 192.168.1.0 and LAPTOP via a wireless LAN card (192.168.0.0).  Both
these client machines run Windows 98 and have Outlook 98 as their email
client.

I've already successfully set up DESKTOP to send/receive email on our ISP
(POP3) account (simply by telling it that GARAGE was the gateway and giving
it the address of a couple of DNS servers).

What I'd like to do is have GARAGE retrieve the email from the ISP, store a
copy (for backup) then forward copies to both DESKTOP and LAPTOP, so that I
can be sure of not missing an email no matter what machine I'm using.  And
of course I'd like the reverse to work for sending emails too.  If I can get
the system to filter out some of the spam I'm getting that would be a bonus.

I've considered just running an email client on GARAGE and using VNC to
connect to it from either machine but, despite my own reservations about it,
the rest of my family wish to continue using Outlook as their client as
that's what they are familiar with.

I'm sure this is possible, somehow - but I don't know enough about email on
linux to know what programs I should be looking at using.  Can anyone offer
any advice on how to get started?

Thanks,
James.