[sclug] Mailfile message boundaries

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sat Oct 25 09:05:45 UTC 2003

Hi Sclug,

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 08:41:14AM +0100, Patrick Kirk wrote:
> Spamassassin is doing a great job for me but one of my bugbears is
> that reporting the ones that slip through to Spamcop is too much
> hassle.  so I've written up a little script that takes all the files
> in the Spam mailfile and emails them to a reporting address at
> Spamcop.

Whilst I've not seen your setup in particular, I must advise against
automatically reporting everything to spamcop.

Many of our customers host mailing lists on their servers which are the
usual "send subscribe, confirm" jobby yet we get SpamCop reports about
such lists.

SpamCop also reports about websites which it calls "spamvertised"
however if you report legitimate mailing list traffic to SpamCop then
any URLs for unsubscribing etc will again generate complaints.

Hence, automated submission may well end up pissing lots of people off -
after all spamcop seems to send reports to as many people as it can find
to piss off.  Its open relay reporting is fine I guess but as an ISP
we've had more experiences of false-positives being reported via SpamCop
than of real spam.

I'd really recommend you sort your spams manually before you send them
off so that you don't fall into this trap.

--
Simon  [ huggie at earth.li ] *\       "How should I know if it works?  \**
****** ]-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-[ **\   That's what beta testers are for. I  \*