[sclug] Debian Install

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sat Oct 25 09:05:50 UTC 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 02:40:01PM +0100, Derek M Jones wrote:
> >Redhat now end support after a certain number of months of a new
> >distribution being out don't they unless you pay.
> >Their enterprise linux product gets a longer support lifespan however.
> I appreciate that there is a group of people who face peer group
> pressure to upgrade (who said Linux was not a fashion industry).
> But tendyness aside, Linux has stabilized sufficiently that frequent
> upgrades are not necessary.

I don't upgrade to be trendy, I upgrade for security fixes.

This is what I mean when I talk about Redhat support above.

If you can't get the version of php[0] with holes fixed for your version of
Redhat then you have to either compile it up yourself or upgrade to a
supported version of their distribution.  Worse you may not know that
the version of php in your distribution is vulnerable anyway as it's no
longer supported by Redhat so they won't put out an advisory about it.

People therefore should upgrade to a version of their distribution which
is supported with security updates.  Also everyone should either care
about security or not care about the security of data on their systems.

Simon.

[0] I picked this at random.

--
UK based domain, email and web hosting ***/  <blitz> un pot au sous-bock /*
http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/     **/   sans parler du PC, c comme /**