[sclug] Mail

Antony Bartlett akb at akb.me.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:53 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 19:55, Antony Bartlett wrote:
> (one of these days I might even get around to looking
> at cross-platform mail clients/mail stores and stop
> posting from Outlook Express)

and indeed now I have now gotten around to looking at this

On Tue, Tuesday, August 19, 2003 9:23 PM, Tom Dawes-Gamble wrote:
> A far as Mail goes you should find that fairly easy.  My set up is a
>bit OTT but you could do it with fewer systems.  I have a low power
>system I leave running all the time to receive mail.  I then use IMAP to
>read mail from my Linux Box and my partner reads mail from her
>microsh1te box.  I also have my gateway set up so I can read mail from
>outside my intranet.
>
> Personaly I use evolution to read mail these days it has an Outlook
>look and feel handles gpg about the only thing I've not yet sorted out
>is how to import gpg keys via evolution so I have to resort to saving to
>a file and then use the CLI.

My problem is slighly different, in that I want to be able to read the
same mail-bag whether I'm booted into Linux or Windows.
Also, it is necessary for my mail to be stored on the client-side of
things.  I don't want to take the MS-Exchange-style approch of
storing mail on the server side, because, (as I mentioned in my last
posting), I'm hoping my server will be remotely hosted (and virtual).

With these two points in mind, I've gone for Mozilla because it is the only
cross-platform mail client that I've heard of (and hey, it also comes with
a web browser that I've heard lots of good things about :-)

I don't know if it's intended to be used this way, but in a simple test
(only one piece of mail in the store), I was able to read the same store
from Mozilla running in both Operating Systems without any problems.
I also opened up the mail-store-file in a text-editor, so that I could
take a peek at the format it's using.  Looks like a nice straightforwards
plain-text approch unlike the binary bollocks that Outlook Express
uses that is very hard to do searches upon (and which Mozilla claims
to be able to import.  Another plus point)

So, looks like that's the client-side sorted.  Thus my attention turns
to the server-side.

Tom - You said you have a low power system you leave running all
the time to receive mail... may I ask what it's running?  Recommendations
from anyone else would also be very welcome.

    Best regards,

        Antony