[sclug] Question about HTML format e-mails

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Fri Dec 3 10:22:42 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 23:05:57 +0000, Darren Davison wrote:
: On Thursday 02 December 2004 22:18, Tom Chance wrote:

: > 2 - It wastes bandwidth, which can be a real pain in the arse if you
: > download a lot of it on a slow connection.

And it's annoying to those of us who use terminal-based mail clients
(like, eg., me).  Adding:

text/html; lynx -force_html %s; needsterminal;

to your .mailcap file can help with that, but there's something
fundamentally *wrong* about using a web browser to read mail.

: I'm now using my mobile phone more and more to access my IMAP server and I
: pay per byte downloaded.  It's not just only a pain in the arse, it's
: bloody expensive and I'm one of those in the community who hold HTML mail
: in complete contempt.  If someone needs me to see HTML, they can send me a
: link to the web page.

Quite so.  I use my mobile to read mine quite often, but I just reattach
to whichever screen session I happen to need to read the mail on (work or
home).  But then Unix is like that.

: Just as bad are those who don't trim quoted text and send 50KB of text that
: adds "me too" at the end.  Grrrr.

And top-post.  That's *really* irritating.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to constant nagging to change it, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.