[sclug] Moving house, so giving away free stuff!

Damion Yates damiony at is.bbc.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 20:25:06 UTC 2004

I'm moving from Maidenhead to London in the next few days and I've a
whole bunch of things I don't have space for.

Would anyone like my pile of old issues of Linux magazines?  These are
basically collections of free ones sent to the BBC (Linux User), US
ones I tend to pick up at airports (Linux Journal), and the odd random
purchase of Linux Magazine and Linux Format.  There are approximately
60 in total they are all fairly interesting with cover-CDs (I may not
be able to find them all) and articles.  They are all going in the bin
if nobody wants them.

I also have various bits of computer/electrical equipment:

An old SPARC with no hostid or mac due to broke nvram battery I think,
I suspect you can manually type stuff in to the OBP and net boot it
(it has no HD) probably.  I've never found the time myself.  I got it
from work as they were just going to bin it.  I was tempted to try and
return it anyway so they can go to the hassle of binning it but it's
unlikely they'd accept it back in the 1st place.

An UltraSPARC squashed in to a Sparc20 casing, (2U) used to be used
for realmedia encoding at the BBC.  I'm much more likely to be able to
return this.  But if they won't have any of it, I'll need to give it
to somebody.  I believe this has a 9G scsi disk and would make a
reasonable server, probably 150/200Mhz UltraSPARC with 32/64M ram.

An 80186 Research Machines Nimbus PC with fairly nice 12" greyscale
monitor.  This only has a 1.4M floppy but makes a reasonable vt term.
Comes with a keyboard and 5m mouse cable!? 1024K ram.  This was my 1st
PC and cost me £10, free to you though.

A 386 in an old clone case (no floppy), with 256M HD (which I may need
some time to nab data from and wipe), 8M (maybe 5m)  ram keyboard and
mouse.  I used to run X on this, it has a very very old slackware and
was fairly usable.  This was my 1st proper Linux box, it's called
pooh.

A P2 200 (I think) PC.  This seems to have a broken m/board making it
unable to properly use cdrom drive, but as network cards work you can
install Linux on reasonably.  I believe this has 64M ram.  Soundcard,
mouse+keyboard and reasonable case.

Colour 18" Sony Trinitron TV, goes a tad green after a few hours but
only people coming in to the room notice, a bang on the side or
turning off and on fixes.  Some slight lines on the screen.  Note this
is probably the 1st Trinitron they made, I think it's over 20years old
and has no presets let alone a remote control, only UHF reception at
the back.  It would be greatly enhanced by the use of one of the VCRs
on offer.

VCRs
I have 2 broken ones, one with a teletext decoder and reasonable
remote, the mechanism could possibly be repaired one day (that's why I
still have it, as a hobbiest/pasttime thing), it's in a bag unscrewed
at the moment, it's most use is as a UHF decoder for cheap vid.capture
cards on PCs or as a remote for the TV mentioned above.  The other is
closer to working as a video, but doesn't quite play tapes anymore,
it's not as good a VCR but does have a remote so again may work with
the TV.

I'll try and update this list once I work out what the deal is with
equipment I've had for ~5years that Siemens/BBC probably don't want
their storage filled up with.  Perhaps two 128M P3 500's which is much
better than most of the above stuff.

I've done this from memory but then as I'm offering this all
completely for free it shouldn't matter too much if I've missed
anything.  The only condition is that you turn up and collect it
yourself.

It would be nice to know stuff is going to a good home.  I may even
consider giving away my Spectrum +3 if I knew somebody would care for
it, or store it on indefinite loan ?

Thanks,

Damion

Damion Yates - email: Damion.Yates at bbc.co.uk