[sclug] isolinux weirdnesses

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Fri Dec 17 16:52:54 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 14 December 2004 23:43, David Given wrote:
> I'm currently constructing a live-CD-based Linux system for use as a media
> box. This is going quite well, apart from one minor problem. My CDs won't
> boot on my Shuttle box any more.

Problem solved --- or at least, worked around. It seems that the Shuttle's
BIOS doesn't like non-emulated CD boot images. It works fine if I use an
emulated floppy disk image.

This sucks, because it means that I have to have two seperate copies of the
kernel (one for booting from the CD, one for booting from a hard disk), but
at least it boots now.

Next question: is there any way to make Linux handle gracefully the case when
you unexpectedly remove an item of mounted media? Mounted read-only, of
course. I have vague memories of a kernel patch that would cause it to kill
any processes that owned file handles on the removed media, which is not
terribly suitable, but is better than spewing I/O errors...

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "P.S. If you do not receive this, of course it
+- www.cowlark.com --+ letter