[sclug] PCMCIA *and* CardBus, at the same time?

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Mon Mar 8 17:07:11 UTC 2004

* Chris Aitken <chris at ion-dreams.com> [2004-03-08 15:47:32]:

> > (I am a little interested to know how the kernel works out
> > whether the given
> > card is a 3.3V or 5V device, given that without applying some
> > power it can't
> > read any of the CIS information...)
> >
> > This is on a Toshiba Tecra 520CDT with the ToPIC PCMCIA chipset that's
> > notoriously dodgy. It did, however, use to work. With 2.4, I
> > eventually had
> > to use the non-kernel PCMCIA drivers, but this isn't an option on 2.6.
> >
> > Has anyone seen anything at all similar? Or suggest anything to try?
>
> IIRC the tecras (I have a 740 CDT) have a bios thingy to choose
> PCMCIA/Cardbus, or just cardbus. In addition, seeing as these 2 relate to
> laptop versions of ISA (PCMCIA, 16 bit)) & PCI (Cardbus, 32 bit), do you
> have ISA enabled in the new kernel? It sounds to me like you don't.

If the PCMCIA/Cardbus in-kernel support is the same as 2.4, PCMCIA cards
get handled by the original cardmgr/cardctl userspace apps, but Cardbus
(due to it's PCI-like nature) gets handled by the Hotplug subsystem, so
it's two separate things really.

You might just need to rebuild the pcmcia-cs package so it knows to use
the in-kernel PCMCIA support if it was originally using its own bunch of
kernel modules for support.

HTH

Matt
--