[sclug] No external net connection

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Tue Dec 13 00:52:40 UTC 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Derek M Jones wrote:

>> Failing that, run ethereal whilst attempting to make an http connection and
>> put the capture file online somewhere so we can take a look at what's
>> happening.
>
> No packets are getting that far.  Something on my 'updated' machine
> has decided not to talk to the external world.

I don't believe you. :-)

You've got local connectivity, so packets are going to and from the affected
machine, and all pcap applications, including ethereal, see packets before
netfilter/iptables decides whether to filter them, or not.

In other words, just do it. :-P

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?