[sclug] CDRWIN .bin/cue format files

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Thu Sep 8 00:07:06 UTC 2005

David Given wrote:
> I was wrong; it's not audio, it's a VideoCD. Best way to play 'em is to
> stick 'em in your DVD player.

Nah, you must be joking, our DVD machine can't do .... er ... well
waddaya know, so it does!          sw33t :-)

> Failing that, try 'mplayer vcd://'.

OK, that works, too. Presumably if I man mplayer|mencoder diligently
enough I should be able to get it to write it to another format (e.g.
AVI) if I wanted do ... ?

>> [1] as a way of getting at the data that's such a disgusting kludge
>> it's almost delicious ;-)
>> Surely there must be a way of writing a disk image file instead of a
>> real disc? (Although I can't see one in man cdrdao.)
>

> Well, you can't mount it without some virtual CD hardware to extract the
> user data from the disk image. However, xine has said virtual CD
> hardware, and IIRC you can just say 'xine diskimage.bin' and it'll work.
> Sorry, I forgot about this before.

That's what I thought too, and maybe in principle it would but it says
it hasn't got a plugin for that format.

Dickon Hood wrote:
 > VLC (VideoLAN's Client) knows what to do with those.

Not heard of that one but sure enough it does play the CD image version
(though if I point it at the .bin file it does a gratuitous
ctrl-alt-bksp on me <grrr!>)

--
John Stumbles