[sclug] Odd TOCs on CDs

John Stumbles john at stumbles.org.uk
Fri Sep 9 09:48:36 UTC 2005

Chris Aitken wrote:
>>Simon Huggins wrote:
>>
>>>Speaking of CDs, what software will ignore dodgy TOCs and rip the
>>>audio tracks anyway?
>>>
>>>All I want is my music that I bought, on my music player *sigh*.
>>>Bloody DRM.
>>
>>Hey, don't knock it: it's a valuable weapon in the war
>>between the legitimate owners of the material and those who
>>would help themselves to it without paying for it.
>
> Don't get me started.

You _did_ read the bit after what you quoted, didn't you? :-)

> Another gripe. Having burnt MP3 music CDs, to play on my DVD player at a
> party, I find my DVD player will only play CDs randomly, and not MP3s. So
> wasted CDs (ah well), and wil be plugging laptop into hifi.

I bought a cheap mp3/cd/radio portable from LiDL and found that it
doesn't do random play on mp3 CDs either. Mind, I've found that the car
mp3 cd player's random play is (a) not random (if you start in random
mode on a particular track it will always follow the same sequence of
tracks) (b) doesn't ever seem to visit the tracks near the end of the
disk. Nowadays I just put the tracks on the disk in a random-ish order
and play through in sequence. By the time I've played through the disc
enough to notice the sequence I'm getting fed up with it anyway!

I suppose what one really needs is an iPod or similar and an
amp/speakers that you can plug it into. Our last car radio had a 3.5mm
input socket, and I have an ancient portable radio with a CD/line input
connection, but for most machines you'd have to fiddle around with an RF
modulator to play it through the radio, and either way you end up with a
mess of boxes, cables and batteries :-(

--
John Stumbles