[sclug] Odd TOCs on CDs

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 11:11:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, John Stumbles wrote:

> Chris Aitken wrote:
>> Another gripe. Having burnt MP3 music CDs, to play on my DVD player at a
>> party, I find my DVD player will only play CDs randomly, and not MP3s.
>
> I bought a cheap mp3/cd/radio portable from LiDL and found that it doesn't do
> random play on mp3 CDs either. Mind, I've found that the car mp3 cd player's
> random play is (a) not random (if you start in random mode on a particular
> track it will always follow the same sequence of tracks)

The iRiver H-3xx HDD-based MP3 players have the same problem. Given that
they have a built-in battery-backed real-time clock, how hard can it be to
at least make an attempt at writing a pseudo-random number generator? (even
if it isn't cryptographically sound!)

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?