[sclug] OT mobile phones

Dickon Hood sclug at splurge.fluff.org
Sun Dec 16 00:45:49 UTC 2007

On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 00:16:24 +0000, ed wrote:
: Hi,

: Does anyone know of a mobile phone that can cover this sort of
: specification:

: 1) mp3 player >= 4gig (external memory card storage can be considered)

Sorted.

: 2) light weight - would be required for long distance jogging, so not
: too bulky either

Ah...

: 3) gprs and java midlets (for icq communications - txt messages can get
: expensive)

Done.

: 4) pdf viewer - for reading ebooks

Hrm.  I should check.

: it seems to me that we're in a day and age where this should be
: possible. The reason I'm asking this is that for a number of weeks my
: ipod nano has been annoying the hell of out of me with it's slippery jog
: wheel and the stupid way that all songs are organised by id3, and if id3
: is not present then songs automatically get shoved into the 'all'
: category - totally unreasonable, file paths should be acceptable.

iTunes is annoying.

: If you have advice about a stand alone mp3 player then that would be
: cool also, a phone/mp3 player combined would be good - being able to
: field telephone calls on the run would be helpful.

Nah.  Phone.

: Finally pdf would be icing on the cake! Well, that's not true, being
: able to ssh would be the icing on the cake.

putty.

Sounds to me, as a user of such a device, that you need a Nokia E90.  Not
cheap, but (other than the weight, which isn't too bad, but isn't exactly
featherlike) seems to have everything you want: keyboard for ssh, an mp3
player, does HSDPA on 3G (3.6Mb/s) where available, has a GPS, camera, all
the usual crap, and, should you feel sufficiently insane, you can even
make telephone calls over it.  Via the integrated SIP stack should you
have 802.11[bg] available and have an account with a VoIP provider.

The only drawback I've found so far is that if you run up putty sometime
in the pub and forget to kill it, it wakes you up at about 0430
complaining it's out of battery.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.