[sclug] Web log analysis tool?

ed ed at s5h.net
Mon Jan 22 19:58:47 UTC 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 12:45:38 +0000
David Given <dg at cowlark.com> wrote:

> A few days ago I noted that my 'net connection was running rather
> slowly. A quick look at my lighttpd logfiles revealed that Google +
> world + dog had discovered a hitherto unknown symlink in my
> public_html directory and were downloading my MP3 collection.

it wasnt me...

> Er, oops.
>
> Can anyone suggest a logfile analyser that would warn me of such
> things in the future? I'm not looking for something that does
> extensive statistical analysis and draws pretty graphs; I want
> something that will email me periodically with a brief rundown of the
> major bandwidth use on my website, with hopefully a set of trends
> indicating which items are becoming more or less popular. I'd rather
> not be caught out again...

oh, sounds like an interesting project.

how do you define popularity?

if one has 9999999999 links, and one is hit three times, wouldn't that
be the popular one?

matching mp3 in a regex is a reasonably simple task, you could grep
this.

what might be better is using a network monitor (shameless plug)
http://s5h.net/qmail/netmon-0.02.tar.gz, calling netmon eth0 would give
you the counters, calling it again, 1 minute later and subtract the
difference would tell you the bytes/min. if this is greater than a
given threshold one could send a mail using sendmail.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.linuxwarez.co.uk
proud linux hacker