[sclug] Web log analysis tool?

Graham lists at Information-Cascade.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 15:33:50 UTC 2007

> From: David Given <dg at cowlark.com>
> Subject: Re: [sclug] Web log analysis tool?

> Actually, thinking about it, this is probably a fairly simple scripting
> project; I can write a little script that parses the logfile at rotate time,
> figures out what files were read (and how much was read --- it's all helpfully
> in the logfile), divides them up per directory, sorts and collates the result,
> and mails it to me. An easy trick for awk or Lua.
>
> I'll consider, and get back to you...

Can I recommend 'xdu' (a very old X11 program).
It can read in a prepared file of many lines of
	NUMBER /PATH/NAME
	NUMBER /PATH/NAME/subname
And then zoom into/out-of subdirs that you click on,
with each dir shown in proportion to the number,
(which should add up, like the output from du).
You feed it KB transferred instead of KB storage,

Graham