[sclug] website design

John Stumbles sclug at yaph.org.uk
Sat Jul 19 13:39:30 UTC 2008

The guy who did the artwork for my van (http://yaph.co.uk/art) has a
website (http://www.steveking-art.co.uk/) which was done for him for
free by someone he knew a while back. However the guy who did it doesn't
seem much interested in updating it for him. Ideally Steve would get in
a pro web designer to maintain his site for him, but he's just starting
out on making a living through his artwork and doesn't have a lot of
money to throw at it (and doesn't have the tech savvy to do a decent job
of it himself) so is looking for a cheap but well-crafted solution!

What I think he could do with is someone to work with him on designing a
decent site and setting it up so that Steve (perhaps with a bit of help
from me) can update it with new content within the overall structure
they've designed. I'm thinking for example of an area for news-ey items
(e.g. he had an item published in a local newspaper featuring a piece of
his work) and a gallery of his work (which he could update with new
pieces as he does them), plus maybe a section of links (which he could
edit/add to) etc. Ideally such changes would be a matter of editing some
files listing the contents of the web pages a la wiki rather than
hairy-arsed html editing. However, given that he's a graphic artist, the
website would have to look smart (so it couldn't be, for example, a wiki
in read-only mode).

He works on a Mac so could presumably run, say, Apache to preview
revisions locally and rsync or sitecopy to update his live site.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, know anyone who might be
interested or is interested themselves?

--
John Stumbles                                       http://yaph.org.uk