[Sussex] Debian install - Still no sound (from cdrw/dvd)

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Sep 17 21:07:00 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 16 September 2003 2:50 am, Steve Dobson wrote:
<snip>
>  Boot in to Mandrake and see
> what dmsg reports there.  As that "works" it is the reference system.
</snip>

Ok, so into mandrake I go, "dmesg | less", and here is a precis of the
references made to the cdrw device.

Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=Mandrake ro root=303 quiet noapic devfs=mount
hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off
ide_setup: hdc=ide-scsi
<snip>
ICH2: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
<snip?
hdc: CW058D ATAPI CD-R/RW, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
<snip>
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
Vendor: CyberDrv Model: CW058D CD-R/RW rev: 110D
Type: CD-ROM                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
<snip>
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/48x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
<snip>
sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
</snip>

I am presuming that this is kernel related information as to how the mandrake
system is set up?

If so, and also your comment of mandrake being the reference system - I
presume that this means that the basic setup would be the same? with either
mandrake or debian?

So??? does this mean that I do need to set up the cdrw drive to have the scsi
emulation for it to do any sound and possibly recording/burning ?

regards

John D.

p.s. If your attempts at getting an adsl link don't happen, then at least I
now have an 8 port switched hub.