[Sussex] Backup Solutions Advice

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 18:16:03 UTC 2006

Mark Harrison wrote:
> I'm assuming that Matthew with actually understands his business'
> requirements! He's asked a sophisticated question to which you haven't
> provided any kind of answer, but instead decided to flame him.
>

> I've already answered the original question off-list with a bit more detail,
> but given I'm now on, I'll add a simple answer to the original question for
> the archives - "IBM" :-)
>
> Mark

This may also be a really, really good time to review the backup
policies: denser media and less of a backlog of old dumps, along with
local snapshot mirroring to reduce restoration times for most users,
might help eliminate the need for additional storage.

Transferring archival storage to a more contemporary, more readable
medium can also be a big win: it's why I love tarballs and tartapes,
such as those used by Amanda, because they remain legible to other software.