[SWLUG] Recommendations for a router?

Philip Barnes phil at trig222.f9.co.uk
Wed May 19 18:55:53 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 15:02 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> I think all modern ones will have web interfaces now.  I have had no
> problems with various Linksys units over a number of years.  One thing
> that I would look for in a new one is the ability to specify fixed ip
> addresses for dhcp connected devices (based on mac addresses).  This
> allows each pc to have a fixed ip address (which is useful for ssh)
> without the hassle of configuring the PC with fixed ip.

I have a Linksys WRT54G ADSL Modem which I no longer use, it looked sexy
sitting on the hall windowsill.

It all seemed fine until I got my N95 and discovered that it cannot
stream media to the phone. The same links stream perfectly to my Linux
laptop and to my phone when I am connected to any other make of router.
Its the modem not the wireless. It is well documented on linksys forums
and affects other N Series phones.

I tried linksys support, but could not get passed the first stage. They
tried fiddling with settings and resetting it. I knew that wouldn't
work, but the script didn't include the firmware is faulty and give it
to a phone and a router to a one of their softies and tell then to watch
youtube.

I now have a Netgear DG834G, which works fine.

Both have been configured to prevent port forwarding to the broadcast
address, which prevents me using wake up on lan when I am away from
home. Does anyone know of a brand of modem/router that doesn't have this
silly restriction?

My original modem/router allow me to use wake on lan and it was very
useful, it saved wasting power leaving a PC on when I wasn't home, or if
I was away and wanted to access something.

Phil