[Wiltshire] Linux 2.6.28, ondemand governor and nice 19 processes

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Sun Feb 22 21:36:08 UTC 2009

Simon Iremonger wrote:
>> I'm hoping someone will be able to help with a problem I've been
>> experiencing ever since I upgraded to 2.6.28
>> Before upgrading to 2.6.28 processes running at nice 19 didn't cause the
>> CPU frequency to step up, so it ran at it's lowest clock speed, which
>> was perfect because it "saved" power and kept temperatures down.
>
> I haven't used the cpufreq ondemand in the kernel itself....
>> Since upgrading to 2.6.28, however it seems that this is not the case.
>
> I wonder if 2.6.29 does better ;-)....

Gaaaah!  It's taken me about 12 months to move off 2.6.25 due to various
problems with vmware-modules, dvb card drivers, nvidia modules causing
OOPSES.  I don't ever want to move kernels again!  Oh well...

> I would have thought you do have ondemand support in the 2.6.28
>    kernel if its' appearing in /proc /sys etc...

Yes, I definitely have ondemand support installed and running as I can
see it stepping.

> You could use the workaround of installing 'powernowd' (simple and
>    known to do what you want), with the kernel set for "userspace"
>    governing...

Hmm - I suppose I could... Ondemand did this perfectly in 2.6.25 and
appears as though it should in 2.6.28 because the
/sys/..../ignore_nice_load option is there.

At least it doesn't seem to be anything really obvious that I've missed yet!

Robert.