[Wolves] bad errors on dvd is it seroius

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Sat Nov 26 15:21:39 GMT 2005

On Saturday 26 Nov 2005 01:17, Adam Sweet wrote:
> --- Bobby Singh <bs_wm at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> > I did this and on the dvd it saids
> > '....errors found either due to bad download or
> > corrupt file, clean the media try agian or try
> > different cd....'

It may be the data in the ISO image was downloaded rather than the disc
itself. If you still have it around, try running:

sha1sum <filename>

and compare the output to what's quoted on

http://fedora.redhat.com/download/

If it's different then try downloading again from a different mirror.

> > Anyway i tried installing it seemded ok but it hangs
> > when i log into gnome seession and takes long to
> > start-up. And when i restart fedora it goes blank
> > for
> > a few seconds and hangs. But otherwise install looks
> > ok.

The packages selected for installation may not be in regions that are
corrupted. If I recall correctly, my parents' machine (FC1 or 2?) hangs with
a black screen for a few seconds when X is started, then continues as normal
- nothing to do with the installation media. The machine is set up to use the
integrated graphics facility on its Intel motherboard (can't remember model
or chipset offhand).

> Thats clearly not ok. I'm not sure this is the result
> of a bad DVD. If the DVD is bad then I'm reasonably
> sure the system wouldn't finish installing, you would
> just get loads of errors about files being unreadable,
> or errors on dev hdc, or /dev/hdc. In any case I'm
> pretty sure the installer wouldn't finish if it were
> so bad as to mean packages couldn't be installed.

In the case of a disc error I think it stops, ejects the disc for it to be
cleaned and put back in (could be wrong about this though). Most problems
during the RPM installation stage will display an error message and abort the
install - the only option being click "OK" to reboot (or CTRL+ALT+F<n> to
look at the technical blurb in the other virtual consoles).

GRUB is installed at the end of the process, so if you are doing a fresh
install you won't be left with a bootable system. For an upgrade the existing
GRUB will probably be intact, but the system will be in an indeterminate
state and some or all parts may not work properly.

> Reboot your machine and look for errors. When it is
> booted, use the command line to check various log
> files:
>
> dmesg | grep error
> grep error /var/log/messages

(You'll probably need to be root for the second of these to work.) In case the
message doesn't actually include the word "error", try the following
variations:

dmesg | less
less /var/log/messages

Type > to scroll forward to the end of the file. Type Q to quit and return to
the shell after each command.

Regards,

James