[Worcs] Computer fairs [was Re: LUG Meetings]

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 10 19:37:08 GMT 2006

On Friday 10 November 2006 16:14, Stuart Parkington wrote:
> > advertising is a good idea
> > dont we have to pay for a stand at the pc fairs ?
>
> I think we might have to. I don't know but maybe we could get away
> without if we explained we are non-profit organisation, simply
> advocating Linux as an operating system and looking for new members of
> the LUG. If we promise not the try and sell stuff we might get away with
> it. I was thinking I'd go to the next one I see advertised and see if I
> can spot someone to ask.

Many computer fairs already allow this as part of
the infopoint project. You can give away GNU/Linux
(or other Free Software discs, such as the Open CD).

http://infopointproject.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I've done a few infopoints at Bowlers, in Manchester (which
claims to be the largest computer fair in Europe, but who
knows - it's all mobile telephones, nowadays, anyway =^)
Plenty of people are very interested in finding out more,
and a few of the other stalls took discs from us to try :-)

btw hello to the group from this new member :-)

 - Richard

Richard Smedley,                                    richard at sc.lug.org.uk
Sustainable IT Consultant
                            ``Software Freedom for the Voluntary Sector''