[Autistic] Premature delurking

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Tue Mar 21 07:40:37 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 01:51 +0100, Camilla Berglund wrote:

> sparkes wrote:
> > PS, welcome to all the new members who have signed up over the last
> > few days, quiet lot aren't you ;-)
>
> I prefer to lurk for a while on new lists, to get some sense of its
> culture. I don't know how far I should stray from *nix in a
> presentation, but here goes then.

you can stray away, I don't think there are that many people who will
force you to stay on topic around here.

> I'm elmindreda. In the world of computers I'm mostly a graphics and Unix
> programmer, while on the autism side I blog and write a bit. I worked in
> the game industry for a while and also as a research engineer with
> distributed VR systems, but working took its toll and I'm not sure if or
> when I'll be able to do so again.

cool, now I know who to bother when I am have problems with complex
maths when I play at writing games ;-)

> My laptops all run Debian (but occasionally dual-boot into XP or OS X
> for cross-platform development), and my servers run various flavours of
> BSD, although I tend towards FreeBSD when available.

I run debian (and sometimes ubuntu) and used to duel boot into osx until
my powerbook exploded.

> I'm a member of a distributed hosting service / virtual computer club
> and host a number of services. It's giving me a great opportunity to
> learn about Unix systems administration, but I'm still just a beginner.
>
> I'm trying to take my first steps towards contributing to Debian via the
> Debian Women project, but I haven't started yet. I do recommend DW to
> anyone with a similar interest, however, regardless of gender.

nice.  I've been thinking about doing some Debian work for years and
years but I couldn't do the politics and the whole new developer thing
looks too rigid for me.  I was going to do the ubuntu developer thing
but then it got all too political as well.

> I also work on and maintain various (mostly graphics-related) Open
> Source projects, but none of them are very well-known. It's a lot of
> fun, though.

nice to meet you Camilla

> - --
> Camilla