[Bassetlug mailing] LDAP authentication

MJ.Wells mj.wells at ischus.co.uk
Tue Oct 6 13:44:18 UTC 2009

I have had problems with this one. I set the server's FQDN to
server.localdomain.ischus.co.uk. Sounded great until I tried to access the
website www.ischus.co.uk from inside the LAN. This was masked in the DNS so
that it could not be found.

I think that the email issue is bound up in the issue of what domain you are
going to send to the server from the WAN. Essentially any domain can only be
pointed to one place at a time. The use of server.localdomain.ischus.local
solves this as the domain is never seen outside of the LAN.

However we point ischus.net and ischus.info at our server from outside. So
the server could have one of these as its FQDN and then we could host our
emails on that domain.

So I think that Mark may find a solution by having a domain registered and
pointed to the server from outside that then can ripple through to being
used by the email setup.

I think it is possible for the email server to handle a different domain to
the server as I have a client running Windows Server using the .local
domain, but the exchange server handles emails with a .co.uk domain.
However, the email server collects from their ISP rather than being sent to
directly - if that in fact makes a difference to the operation.

[There is a further complication in that you can point different services to
different places in the domain's management if your parking provider gives
you the means to do so.]

Martin