[Beds] MOUNT QUERY AND BOOTSRAP QUERY

Alan James alan at tomun.org
Thu Nov 21 13:12:01 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 09:21:41AM +0000, THOROLD GUY wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have createed an ext3 partition and I have started to install Linux From
> Scratch (LFS).  When this partition is mounted I am unable to see its
> contents, but as soon as it is unmounted I am abke to see the contents of
> it and edit and install.  I am running mandrake 8.1.  Does anybody know
> what is going on?

Your partition will be something like /dev/hda4 or whatever and you mount it
into a directory say /mnt/temp

mkdir /mnt/temp
mount -t ext3 /dev/hda4 /mnt/temp
# /mnt/temp now contains the contents of /dev/hda4
umount /mnt/temp
# /mnt/temp is just a directory again

If you see files in the mountpoint directory when the disk is unmounted then
they are just regular file in a regular directory (and probably not where you
want them).

Is that whats happening ?

> Also when trying to install gcc 3.2 I get a message informing me that I
> don't have the required files to make the bootstrap, does anyone know how
> to solve this problem?

I've never done that before, sorry.
Paste the error message into google, thats what I'd do.

Alan