[Bradford] Fwd: DEAPPG Panel Event on Net Neutrality: A Briefing paper

Brian bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Tue Mar 29 12:48:45 UTC 2011

Interesting comments.
I think that if we don't have Net neutrality it will stifle innovation and
promote protectionism.

For example: My contract, with T-Mobile, gives me 3GB of data. However, I only
use a tiny part of this and I can't use voip (directly) because they block it.
Now, I have called them to voice my disgust at their policy. They retort with
the offer of letting me use voip but pay more. My argument is that if I fill up
my car, and pay for the petrol, I expect to take my car wherever I want to use
up that petrol. What if someone was to restrict what I could use my car for,
then say they want the unused petrol back at the end of the month? That is just
what T-Mobile is doing. Further, it is protectionism. They fear that people
would use voip for cheaper phone calls - in my case I am only interested in
incoming voip calls, as I don't use my quota of voice minutes,  but that is
beside the point.
I don't have a landline and have, for many years, just used voip. What if Virgin
cable were to mess with voip and make it unusable. Well, yes, I could ditch them
and go elsewhere but sometimes providers follow each other in their actions and
so choice can disappear as a result, perhaps, of a covert cartel.
Brian