[Bradford] Linux Help Please!

Brian A bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Sun Jan 5 23:30:37 UTC 2014

If you are able to install it, you could use 'Synaptic Package Manager'.
That is what we all had to use in the earlier days before Ubuntu created
the 'Software Centre', I still use it sometimes when I'm doing something
that's not so straight forward. Synaptic, being a GUI,  does give you a
good idea what packages are available and you can do 'reinstalls' as well
as adding & removing software and repairing broken packages. The name of
'Synaptic' is 'synaptic-pkexec' and, once installed, resides in /usr/bin/.

Mint does use the Ubuntu repositories, as well as its own, but, as you say,
there is the Mint Debian edition. I think that is an insurance policy lest
they find it difficult to use Ubuntu at some time in the future. Atm
Canonical aren't happy about them using Ubuntu binaries for things like the
'Mint Box'.

Just remember, next time you do an install,  not go for the easy install,
but to put your Home directory, at least, on a separate partition - this
can all be taken care of during the install. Also, a swap partition at
least the size of RAM on your machine. If you do that you won't have all
this backing up to do as you'll just keep your home directory when you do
an reinstall.

I don't know how much you know about the configuration files etc. but there
are what I call 'dot' directories in your home directory. You can see them
in the terminal by typing 'ls -la' or by typing 'Ctrl H' in the Mint's Nemo
file manager (fork of Nautilus). The directory names are preceded by a '.'
.If you backup these files you can return them to a new install and have
all your application preferences restored.

Hopefully, that gives you a bit to go on with.

Brian