[Bradford] Tuesday

John Robert Hudson j.r.hudson at virginmedia.com
Mon Jun 7 09:57:53 UTC 2021

On Sunday, 6 June 2021 20:05:02 BST David Spencer wrote:
> I have been finding out how to set up a fresh installation of MariaDB and
>
> > some
> > related changes which I can share on Tuesday.
> >
> > Are there any other offers?
> >
> > We meet on https://meet.jit.si/GreenMushroomsPaintNicely at 7.
> >
> > John
>
> Something else you can help with, John W has been contemplating his recent
> Xubuntu upgrade shitshow, and has let it be known he never really took to
> xfce anyway. So if you could help us with the desktop choices available in
> Opensuse -- preferably desktops that are almost, but not quite, completely
> unlike xfce, so I guess primarily gnome like what he's used to, that would
> be nice, tia :)

Hi David

openSUSE offers Cinnamon, Mate, xfce and lxde as companions to Gnome. However,
while it is very good at a completely new install, it is less good at working
out what to do with an existing install, particularly if /home is not already
on a separate partition.

I have found that the easiest way to do this with openSUSE is to create the
partitions in advance of the installation and then tell openSUSE to use the
partitions that are already there.

15.3 has just been released and so that would be the obvious starting point.