[Bradford] Sounds and Sights

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 10 09:30:10 UTC 2021

Hey Mike,

The Arch Wiki has 'Use Intel graphics only' right at the top.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus

It says "check the options in your system's BIOS. There should be an
option to disable one of the cards. Some laptops only allow disabling
of the discrete card, or vice-versa, but it is worth checking if you
only plan to use just one of the cards. If your BIOS does not allow to
disable Nvidia graphics, you can disable it from the Linux kernel
itself. See Hybrid graphics#Fully Power Down Discrete GPU."

But of course before that you'll need to undo what you did previously
otherwise you'll probably end up with zero out of two graphics
controllers.

I'm not sure what to do about the audio, the obvious thing is don't
disable anything and just use pavucontrol to choose exactly which
input and output devices you want.

Cheers
-D.