[Chester LUG] Chester LUG new user

Dan Lynch biglynchy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 12:26:24 UTC 2009

Just wanted to echo everyone else in saying welcome to the group Richard,
nice to have you aboard. I'm sure we will be able to help with most problems
you might have transferring to Linux. Your problem with installing Ubuntu
and Mint is a strange one but as both distributions are based on Debian, I
wonder if it's something you would get with all Debian-based distros. I've
heard similar stories with some hardware in the past.

Hopefully the new Ubuntu release might help you out with more hardware
support. It would seem to be some problem with the motherboard and the hard
disk controllers not being supported to me but I'm not a hardware guru,
that's just a hunch. You could try the alternative installer CD or even the
64 bit versions of Ubuntu. The alternative install is aimed at people with
these sorts of hardware problems I think.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

Let us know how you get on and I'm sure we can get it working somehow. Best
of luck!

Dan
linuxoutlaws.com