[Chester LUG] New year and broken and new

Paul Williams wilp4a at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 21:16:36 UTC 2009

Well it's the new year and time for new things.

Firstly, I finally broke the 1 minute barrier solving a rubiks cube.

Another broken thing is my eeepc (2g surf).  I make the distinction because I have ordered an eeepc 1000H - Black XP version.  Why XP you ask?  Well, I need a dual boot.  It cost £280 for a white linux box (160GB) or the same for an 80GB XP machine.  If I pay £300 instead, I get a choice of a black (160GB) XP box or a black (160GB) linux box.  Thats right - £20 more for a black linux box instead of a white one!

I want black though.  After a year, my white 2g looks like I've been using it in a chippy all year!  So I can pay £300 for Xandros (which I'd remove), install my knock off copy of XP pro and then drag the drivers off the asus site, or pay the same and have a legal copy of XP and only have to remove the bloatware.

Either way it won't be my only OS on it.

I have turned my back on Ubuntu (sort of).  Intrepid honked me off big style.  I had disappearing toolbars, disappearing fast user switchers, broken sound drivers and (final straw) non-persistance on the graphics options.  Two separate installs failed to fix all the problems.  I am trialing Mandriva upstairs and Linux Mint 5 (about to upgrade to 6) on my main machine downstairs.  The winner will be my linux distro on the new 1000H.  So far Linux Mint is winning.

My 2g surf meanwhile is going to get fixed.  It stopped accepting AC - resorting to battery only.  Just enough power to reset it to Xandros before they collect it.  Bonus is that eeepc 700s have a 2 year warantee with Asus.  My wife will use that one for meetings (although she want's XP on it!)

Well that's my news

Hope you all had a great christmas and new year

Paul