[Chester LUG] Chester Digest, Vol 271, Issue 7

Bogus Zaba bogus at bogzab.plus.com
Mon Feb 25 11:35:02 UTC 2013

  On 22/02/13 17:57, Roger Gibson wrote:
>> I dual boot Windoze 7 with Ubuntu (updated through many versions)and
>> have no problems with rwx access to Windoze partitions (same on my
>> desktop, laptop and notebook).
>>
>> Although I use a separate ntfs partition for my 'data' files, so as  to
>> facilitate reloading/changing loaded OS, (MS software support
>> recommended to me reloading Windoze every 12 months to remove
>> 'inevitable ongoing corruptions')
Stranger here - I have never been to the Chester LUG, but I have been
lurking on the list for a while (based in Denbighshire and working in
Liverpool so passing through Chester quite a lot).

Just to contribute to the dual-booting discussion - my Thinkpad laptop
dual boots Slackware and Windows 7 quite happily, although with
VirtualBox, QEMU and Wine I rarely need to actually cold-boot into
Windows. Slackware comes with LILO as the boot manager and only command
line utilities for re-sizing the partitions which you need to do when
installing Linux on a PC with Windows pre-loaded but it all worked fine
for me - I can read and write to the original Windows (NTFS) partition
as required with no issues. There may have been some magic stuff had to
be put into /etc/fstab to achieve the write-access if I recall correctly.

Bogus Zaba