[dundee] Meeting

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Fri May 2 15:12:01 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 12:58, Jason Cormie wrote:
> Don't know if its the kind of level/stuff you want, but I can blether
> about the spamfilter boxes we run at Abertay...
> Its not the most exciting thing in the world of Penguins, but it works
> well. Debian Linux, Exim, Mailscanner, Spamassassin

Ah, so Abertay still have some Unix stuff then... When I was finishing
up my studies there ('98), they had pretty much gone all NT (pardon my
French ;)). AFIK/AFIR: The VAX/VMS cluster, gone (well it was getting on
a bit I suppose). river the OpenVMS/Alpha box, gone. The X-Terminals
hanging off ibmrisc (AIX/RS6000) has been replaced by Linux box's (no
complaints there). There was a Unix box, OSF 1 on an Alpha (cerberus
IIRC)I think, that served home dir's, dunno if thats still in
existence?.

Anyways getting back on topic. Some of the more interesting topics I
could talk about (as opposed to some of the more mundane, blurry eyed
ones) might be:

History of Unix/Linux.	Contrary to popular belief, Linux didn't just
			burst out of nowhere in 1998 ;)
and

Whats coming up in the 2.6 kernel.

--