[dundee] Installing a Free WIFI Hotspot at the DCA

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Fri May 2 15:09:07 BST 2008

Well the one that springs immediately to mind is the Linksys WRT54G
series, there are others but this one seems to be the best in my
opinion. Its a wireless router that can be flashed with a variety of
customer firmwares based on Linux, or a custom one may be rolled. It
has time and usage limits, filtering, QoS and is configurable via a
web interface.

A few of the problems with a box running a dedicated distribution as I
see it are, size, wireless footprint, troubleshooting. It'll be bigger
compared to a router, getting a decent footprint could be a problem
and it may be harder to troubleshoot than a dedicated appliance for
non-techie people.

It may not be the best solution and I could be talking crap, I'm just
throwing it out there.

Kris