[dundee] Whole Disk Encryption?

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 30 11:49:17 UTC 2009

Can anyone help me with this....

I'm looking for a linux disk encrytion system, open source or otherwise that can
protect a machines disks.... Trouble is, this machine is remote , so I need a faily secure way of keeping the key with the machine. I.e. Stored in somesort of secure dongle?

Can a TPM chip store keys, if so, how?

I know most people will tell me to store the key somewhere else, or ask for pass phrase
at boot, but for a remote server, this is not possible. it's not connected to the internet either,
just to make it harder for me!!!

I think my only sane option is to store the key 'somewhere' in the machine, and
extract that during boot.

it has to be fairly secure , but not ultra secure.... enough to keep people like Kris out ;-)

what are my options, luks?

Cheers,
Lee