[dundee] Text editor decision question

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 01:18:14 UTC 2009

On 25 Jun 2009, at 4:10 pm, Kris Davidson wrote:

> which editor do you use and why?, have you tried both etc? Does it
> depend on your particular field of computing, do genuine programmers
> lean towards one, while Sysadmin and networking people another?
>
> Kris

anything terminal based, I use Vi. The key binding are easy to
remember for the most used things, otherwise it's just
straightforward editing.

Emacs, I've found it to be fiddly and I always forget the key
bindings, and the auto-complete modes I've used on it are a bit poo.
Support for less used modes is worse than on Eclipse.
TextWrangler on a Mac (no autocomplete but lots of very nice
features). TextMate was alright for a while but I didn't want to pay
for it.
Eclipse, probaby good for Java but I don't use Java, for most else
I've used it for (Perl, Haskell, C#) it's a bit lacking. And it takes
forever to start up. I like the idea behind Mylyn though.
On Windoze nothing beats Visual Studio. In fact, nothing I've used so
far beats Visual Studio for programming, give MS their credit. (not
that it's perfect, by a long way)

It's my long held ambition to write a lightweight text editor with
autocomplete, the most useful feature ever, IMO. I won't be using
Emacs to write it :)

Actually, Applescript Studio isn't bad. Pity it's just Applescript
and Mac!

Iain