[dundee] Linux Laptop any recommendations?

Robert Ladyman it at file-away.co.uk
Wed Jul 21 08:21:26 UTC 2010

Every Lenovo I've had has run OpenSnooze without issue: if it can manage that,
then I don't think Umbongo will be a problem.  I currently run an HP Pavilion
DV8 with quad cores, 64 bit blah, blah blah and that works fine.

One thing to look out for:

I use a Pavilion Home entertainment laptop: the reason being that the
'business' versions usually have a crippled video card so that they can be
sold slightly cheaper and you can't then really use them for high-graphics
working, should you need to.  Nvidia cards have good support: watch out for
Intel systems with no support for the wireless.

http://pcsolutionsperth.co.uk/ have refurbished systems and can get you new
ones to your exact spec: ask for Donald Bennett or drop him a line at
donald at perthpcs.co.uk  (01738 700 700). They probably won't supply a linux one
although they have no problems with it (they used to supply linux-based
firewalls). Chances are they'll let you try live-booting a portable in-house
(they are at 2/4 South Methven Street, Perth PH1 5PE).

> Has anyone bought a laptop (not netbook) that they've put Linux on
>  recently?
>
> Would you recommend it?
>
> Did you have any problems with the graphics, usb, wireless etc...?
>
> I need a quick decision on what to get... any known hardware to avoid?
>  I'll almost certainly throw Ubuntu on it, to get up and running
> quick.
>
> Preferably must have a 13.3" - 14" screen, a good keyboard, with a
> decent layout (i.e. non mac).  Couple of gig of RAM or more,
> reasonably nippy... though doesn't need to be a desktop replacement.
> Must be pretty good for software development, i.e. multi-tasking,
> firefox lots of tabs + development environment with solid wireless
> etc...  Nothing too big, bulky or heavy, but it doesn't have to be
> especially tiny.
>
> I've not really been following hardware & (Linux support) recently for
> the past few years...  so recommendations are appreciated.  I've
> always fancied a lenovo, but I hear Dell (despite being a bit cheap
> and nasty) often have a good bang per buck, and tend to be linux
> friendly.
>
> Advice appreciated!
>
> R.

Robert Ladyman
File-Away Limited
3 Ralston Business Centre, Newtyle, Blairgowrie
Perthshire  PH12 8TL SCOTLAND
Tel: +44 (0) 1828 898 158
Mobile: +44 (0) 7732 771 649
http://www.file-away.co.uk