[dundee] Chip and Pin payments - Consumer Rights when there's an error...

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 22:54:36 UTC 2010

On 9 June 2010 19:04, gordon dunlop <zubenel at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>  I remembered reading an article a few years ago about supermarket
> databases, I recalled it from my own news article database. It was in 2006,
> and was about  Wal-Mart and its store operations. It was stated that the
> Wal-Mart database updates a billion rows a day or approximately 11,600 rows
> a second ( a bit of trivia).
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/global-cio/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=175801775

Yeah, those guys are good... but they're still small fry compared to
the Google behemoth.

There latest announcement

"Caffeine takes up nearly 100 million gigabytes of storage in one
database and adds new information at a rate of hundreds of thousands
of gigabytes per day. You would need 625,000 of the largest iPods to
store that much information; if these were stacked end-to-end they
would go for more than 40 miles."

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/our-new-search-index-caffeine.html

I was slightly shocked to discover yesterday I pastied an error
message and stacktrace on github...  5 minutes later I googled the
error message to see if anyone else had run into my problem before....
I was more than a little shocked (and very impressed) to find the
number first google result was the message I posted just 5 minutes
earlier....  It's really scary how far ahead of the game google are.

If you'll permit me a little hyperbole.... in 50 years, will Google be
the one global government, the only company left??  Could they employ
the worlds population??  Or will they manage it in just 20 years?

Consider that Google now have their own trading floor - to manage
their capital investments... I'm betting that Google know better than
anyone else what to invest in!  Even more so than the giant vampire
squid, Goldman Sachs...

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_23/b4181033582670.htm

Is this a distopian or utopian future.... hmmm....

R.