[Nelug] Reminder- NELUG meeting: 8.00pm, Durham Rowing club

Paul Hutchinson paulhutchinson at warpmail.net
Mon Dec 8 22:44:23 UTC 2003

While I am aware that not many of you will be aware I even exist, and I
certainly do not think enough of myself to run the LUG; I want nothing
more than to see NELUG survive. Therefore I would like to put my name
forward as a candidate to take over running of the website.

I guess I could also handle the mailing list, since it appears to be a
relativly simple job.

Since I am unable to attend meetings myself I am sure this would be
getting more involved than many of you would like to see anyway.

If any more "regulars" want the jobs, feel free.

Hope NELUG can get through this minor glitch.

Please feel free to get in touch.
Paul Hutchinson

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 22:19:53 +0000, "Eddy Younger"
<eddy at shofar.uklinux.net> said:
> Edward Younger - Sun - Volume System Products UK writes:
>  >
>  >
>  > 	** Calendar Appointment **
>  >
>  > 	Date:	12/10/2003
>  > 	Start:	 8:00 pm
>  > 	End:	 9:59 pm
>  > 	What:	NELUG meeting: 8.00pm, Durham Rowing club
>  >

> I'm sorry but I'm not going to be able to make this meeting again.
>
> I'm also sorry that due to personal commitments, I'm unable to
> continue as the "organiser" of NELUG. I need to ask for volunteer or
> volunteers to take on the various responsibilities associated with
> running the group. At the lowest denominator level these are:
>
> 1) administer the mailing list. This is largely a passive task now as
>    the mailman list server software pretty much deals with everything
>    other
>    than approving the occasional post from a member posting from an
>    address other than the subscribed address. All the admin tasks
>    are now web based for simpliicty. lug.org.uk need and admin contact
>    email address for the list.
>
> 2) Maintain the web site. At present this is in my personal web space
>    at uklinux.net with an automatic re-direct from lug.org.uk. It
>    needs to be moved, either to lug.org.uk servers (where it would be
>    hosted for free) or elsewhere if the webmaster so decides.
>
> 3) There is no # 3
>
> 4) Act as NELUG contact. This means having a contact email address
>    published in various national computer publications
>    (eg. linuxformat) and fielding the occasional queries that result
>    from this, in a timely and professional manner. Also anyone taking
>    this on should subscribe to the lugmasters mailing list to keep an
>    eye on the national LUG scene and participate where necessary. And
>    take responsibility for NELUG participation in national efforts
>    such as Linuxday (nationwide installfest), etc.
>
> Can't think of anything else atm. That's the minimum set of tasks
> needed to keep the group operating at its present level. Obviously,
> the more time and energy the new organiser(s) can devote to developing
> and growing the group, the better.
>
> I have to say that if no-one can come forward to take on these duties
> then the group will effectively cease to function, and that would be a
> shame. I have been doing the job (jobs) for 4 1/2 years now, I'm sorry
> I can't continue, but it's also a good thing for someone or someones
> else to take over and perhaps breathe new life into things where it's
> needed.
>
> If anyone wants more info on what's involved please get back to me
> either privately or on the list.
>
> Thanks for all the fish
>
> Eddy.

| Paul Hutchinson -- paulhutchinson at warpmail.net |
| KeyID: 731CECF8 -- vectec.net/hutchy/key.asc   |

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Consolidate POP email and Hotmail in one place