[Nelug] Oracle on Linux

simon.oldham at sicom-systems.co.uk simon.oldham at sicom-systems.co.uk
Mon Jul 7 18:56:01 UTC 2003

Hi,

Does anybody know anything about installing Oracle on Linux (Mandrake 9.1)?
Although the problem may not be Oracle specific.

Ok, here's what is happening. I have been using my Uni Oracle account (over
Telnet via an intermediate server - Telnet from my home to 'Uni server A'
then Telnet from 'Uni server A' to 'Uni server B') to mess about with PL/SQL.
However, when it comes to web interfaces, this system is no good because I
need to access the Oracle server directly thru a browser, and this is not
possible (as far as I can see ,because access to 'Uni server B' is blocked
outside of the Uni).
So, the upshot of this is that I need to install Oracle on my own machine at
home. It is Oracle 8i (it is a CD that I have had for some time) and it came
in a tarball. Having untarred everything into a 'tmp' directory in my home
directory, I should just need to execute ./runInstaller and the 'Universal
Oracle Installer' should start - according to the Oracle docs.
However, I get the following error :

	bash: ./runInstaller: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

if I try to run as root then the following happens :

	The user is root. Oracle Universal Installer cannot continue installation if
	the user is root.
	: No such file or directory

furthermore, the Oracle docs say that you should not install as root, instead
you will be prompted to enter the root pasword as and when.

Incidentally, the runInstaller script has full 777 permissions as does /bin/sh
(which is a link to /bin/bash).

I have enclosed a copy of the runInstaller script, in case it reveals the
problem (the *** are not part of the file):

	#!/bin/sh

	# The environment variable $SRCHOME cannot be set during the installation
	unset SRCHOME

	unset SHLIB_PATH

	CMDDIR=`dirname $0`

	if [ "$CMDDIR" = "." ];then
	   CMDDIR=`pwd`;
	fi
	# Replace relative path with fully qualified path.
	if [ ! "`echo $CMDDIR|grep '^/'`" ];then
	   CMDDIR=`pwd`/$CMDDIR;
	fi

	if [ x${PATH} != x ] ; then
	  PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:$PATH
	  export PATH
	else
	 PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
	 export PATH
	fi

	if [ x${LD_LIBRARY_PATH} != x ] ; then
	  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
	  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
	else
	 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib
	 export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
	fi

	THREADS_FLAG=native
	export THREADS_FLAG

	cd $CMDDIR/install/linux
	./runInstaller $* &

Can anyone help? - it is sooooo annoying.

Thanks in advance,

Si :-(