[Nelug] Hardware for Swaps

Dougie Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 21:19:12 UTC 2005

A few months ago (before we moved) I decided to buy some wireless kit
and learn how it worked so that I could hit the ground running with a
wireless network after moving. Fine idea but I hadn't reckoned on the
reality of wireless networking.

I bought two Linksys WAP54G Access Points and two WMP54G PCI NICs. I got
the APs working but didn't find them very reliable (possibly
interference from the DECT phones, video sender etc) and I didn't even
try getting the NICs working with Debian. I learned alot  about wireless
networking though, and I'm am bit paranoid about security. I've decided
to stick with wired networking for the time being. So if anyone fancies
some Linksys wireless gear ...

I'm on the lookout for a hub, 4 port 100MBs would be great. And an AGP
card that doesn't rattle like my current one. Doesn't have to be
anything fancy.

Where do people buy hardware in Durham? I'm after a long USB cable for
my printer and wandered into Comet at the Arnison centre. They were
charging silly money so I walked out again. I usually get stuff from
dabs or ebuyer online but it'd be good to know if there was anywhere
local that sold computer stuff.