[Nelug] Linux hack for Linksys router and other musings

Richard Patterson richard at helpquick.co.uk
Wed Jun 28 08:02:47 UTC 2006

Douglas Nisbet wrote:
> This is for Richard mostly but might be of general interest.
>
> Linux hackers re-claim the Linksys WRT54G
> http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS6352077661.html
I think the ones you gave me are already linux based, I haven't had a
chance to look at them in-depth at the minute, thanks for the info, it
also has links on that page that tell you how to install an "improved"
firmware on these things. :-)

> I found it while browsing http://del.icio.us
> I don't know if anyone else is trying this. It might be worth setting
> a NELUG tag for anything that might be interesting to the list.
> Another interesting one I came across via del.icio.us/popular recently:
>

>      The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN
>
> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/Ou/?p=43
>
> Hell, why is Thunderbird HTMLing (is that a verb?) my message. I've
> just skimmed it but the author says that MAC address filtering is a
> bad idea. Hmm...

Interesting read... Wireless networks are notoriously insecure, lets
face it, if you wanted a "secure" network, you wouldn't use wireless...

There are of course ways to secure them, but then, if someone wants to
be in, there isn't much you can do.

I personally have my wireless setup with WEP 128 (I know, I know), but
once connected, you need to establish a VPN to the server to do anything
else... (and the VPN  uses AES-256 encryption)

> Dougie

Cheers,